Friday, February 03, 2006

Poor sense of my own limitations

Have I ever mentioned that I have a rather poor sense of my own limitations? Remember my plan for Replacement Cardi? Well, that's currently gone out the window. I went to my LYS and discussed cardigan construction with Linda (who was extremely helpful, btw), and came to the conclusion that I probably needed a copy of Sweater Wizard. Note that this software is both expensive and Windows-only. Windows bugs me. I don't use it. Thus, I won't be using this program. Then I saw this sweater by Annabelle NYC. I like the sweater, but I don't want it in cotton, nor am I thrilled by the sleeves. So, never having knit a complete sweater, I'm going to design my own.


I took some figures from a non-stretchy wrap sweater that fits me well over the long-sleeve tees I wear all through the winter, and I'll be adapting these into the sweater I'm thinking of, inspired by the sweater above. If anyone's interested in the sweater, I can write up the complete pattern once I've test-knit it and crunch some numbers to get other sizes, assuming I can talk someone into running the shoulder-shaping through Sweater Wizard or something of its ilk. Currently, I have two choices of trim that I think would look nice: moss stich, or a cable that braids together to extend down the tie (mmm... cabling on small-diameter knitting on DPNs). I'm leaning towards the cable right now. Please feel free to leave me suggestions. Tomorrow, I should have some mockups in a knit fabric; I want to make sure I've accounted correctly for the stretchy fabric of the knit. (Note that the figures in the diagram do not include stretch, and are the length of a shirt; the sweater will be somewhat longer, and the back and fronts will be narrower.)


Also, while I was at my LYS, I bought some Lorna's Laces for my sock pal. From reading her blog, I narrowed down the class of pattern I'll be knitting, and chose the "Mixed Berries" colour accordingly. I'm really looking forward to knitting her something nice and cozy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, good luck with the designing! Love the color of that LL yarn. You've got one lucky pal there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:08 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete