Friday, April 28, 2006

You know you're a knitter when...

...it may be just over the freezing point of water, but you'll only turn on the heat because you need to dry your knitting out.

Yes, that's another swatch in the foreground. I swear I'm not cheating on my "one pair of socks, one small-needle project, one big-needle project" rule; I need to order some needles for this and my birthday present to myself. Three cheers for anyone who guesses what I'm swatching for. (Hint: I've never knit garter stich before. Boy does that feel weird!)

BTW, we loved meeting some of you yesterday at the cafe (and Krista's 11-year-old puppy enjoyed licking one of you. We're planning to make this a regular informal Thursday night occurrence. Krista and I are both moving in the next few months, so we may be in and out of town a bit, but we'll try to warn you if neither of us will be there (plus, that shouldn't stop you from knitting!). Thursday nights at 7:30pm at Te Cafe. If anyone's bored, I'm planning to go to the Knit One pattern exchange from 7-9pm tonight. Frankly, I think people are going to be trying to exchange some really terrible patterns; it'll be amusing. It will probably also be amusing to see the effect wine will have on people's knitting. My desire to go may or may not also be motivated by the large pile of homework I need to grade.

7 comments:

  1. Good on finding/founding a regular recurring knitting meetup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry I missed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:20 AM

    Gosh, why can't we have such great knitting meetups in Innsbruck as well? Hm... you just got me thinking here, perhaps I should start such a thing? But how?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had a great time meeting y'all, too. i just finished tempting ii, though i have a bunch of laddering going on--very annoying--where the band meets the neck! i don't know what to do to rescue it, so i'm slightly distraught, but i'm just setting it aside for now, until i can get some expert help. it's not due to its recipient until july.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how was the exchange??

    ReplyDelete
  6. lisabe -- Bring it out next week and everyone can have a look at it (not that I promise anyone can help :P). IIRC, you're picking up and knitting stitches for the band, right? Are you twisting the stitches? That can help...

    (I'm so sorry you've had such a terrible week... I hadn't read your blog for a while, so I couldn't tell you in person.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. cheryl -- I put out a book and a pattern, which were snapped right up. I didn't really see anything I was interested in, though. Ahwell... I think to a certain extent I'm not that interested in patterns, except for lace and for things that use really interesting construction techniques. The thing I'd love to have is something like sweater wizard that runs on the mac, just so I could make the dang thing graph out shoulders for me. The math on how to do it by hand isn't hard, but it's tedious. (Right now, the LYS is very nice and lets me run numbers on theirs.)

    ReplyDelete