Saturday, July 01, 2006

Adventures in fabric

Hello Krista,

I'm sorry I haven't posted in a bit, but I've been cranking away on my projects, and I wanted to hit the halfway point on my Mermaid before I posted again.

It doesn't really want to lay flat anymore, because of all the shaping. I can't protest, as it just makes it more likely to fit over my curvy bits. I'm really stunned by the amount of yarn I have left, though.

Those wimpy balls on the bottom are the ones I've knit the entire half-body out of already (except for the ivory band and swatches at the beginning, which I knit out of a very small ball that I just about finished off). I don't know what to do with all the extra yarn! I might knit a different coloured version this sweater to amortize the pattern cost; I think it'll only cost me $30-40, which is a heck of a lot less than the kit sells for!

At least I'm doing pretty well on my fabric project costs (though I won't have pictures for a bit). My step-grandmother, who is an excellent seamstress, and I bought $20 of batik fabric at a discount store in SF. We're making four tea-length wrap skirts out of it, with quite a lot left over for blouses and pillows. I haven't done so well at finding fabric for work-appropriate clothes, though. Britex tried to sell us some fabric signed by Pucci for $250/yd; I'm rather boggled as to why the signature would make me want to buy it. I don't want anyone signing my butt!

When my migraine medicine kicks in, I am going (again) to go try to find a suit for work. It's becoming sickly amusing: the size jacket that fits my bust is TWO TIMES the size of the jacket that fits everything else. I've considered spandex jumpsuits, but apparently the inclusion of the word "suit" does not make them work-appropriate. I'm trying to take the edge off of my frustration by buying a bunch of fingering-weight wool to make a Eunny-style work sweater. If this trend in yarn choice keeps on going, soon I'll be knitting with thread on sewing needles!

At least kitty has been successful in his hunting.


Miss you!
Lea

1 comment: