Friday, July 21, 2006

This 'n' that

Hey Krista,

I've been doing a bit of this 'n' that lately, knitwise, so I thought I'd write a bit down while it was all drying. I've been swatching for my Eunny top. I need more waist shaping than Eunny does in her sweaters, so I'm using a somewhat busier (but more linear) pattern (but probably not what's swatched). I think having something in my hands would be an excellent help for the extended family reunion on Saturday. The well-meaning questions about why I'm moving across the country and why I don't have an apartment yet and "subtle" fishing for a wedding invitation should give me a nice, tight gauge across the midsection, right?


I'm also pre-washing some hemp for a little textured jacket I'm planning. I can't draw well, but this is what I have in mind: Nehru collar, slightly belled sleeves with a slit, and curved bottom-front. The closures will be toggles or pairs of buttons, closed with a loop. (If anyone sees some buttons that would go well with the jacket, I'm on the lookout!)

The stitch pattern I'm considering is "broken chevron" from Barbara Walker's Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns. The challenge is how to build the amount of shaping I need in a jacket into the stitch pattern, making it an integral part of the garment.


I'm not sure whether I've gone a little nuts or not, but at least my wrists are holding up so far. I'd better go knit some socks to prepare them for all the fingering-weight yarn!

Hope you're doing OK with the move!
Lea

No comments:

Post a Comment