Friday, May 25, 2007

Cool blue sahara

In between packing boxes, I finished up my Sahara for the Sexy Knitters Club knitalong. I guess this makes me sexy. Or perhaps it makes me a knitter. Or perhaps a club. (I have been known to be a bit blunt.) The colour isn't quite true; it's more of a dark denim-y blue than a navy blue. In all the moving chaos, I haven't had a chance to block the sweater yet; I expect blocking will make it softer and drapier than it already is.





I made the following modifications:

  • Decreased the neck depth. I felt the sweater looked better proportioned on bustier people with a shallower neck.
  • Reworked the bust/waist shaping. I made the bust larger, the waist smaller, started the shaping further down (under the fullest part of my bust), and changed the shaping accordingly.
  • Added a bust dart. I put bust darts in all my sweaters. They fit much, much better with this feature.
  • Increased neck trim. I needed four repeats of the neck trim pattern to meet in the middle of the neck.


Yarn: Silky Tweed, somewhere around 7-8 skeins. I have a lot of this floating around, so it was a bit difficult to count in the moving chaos. Silky Tweed is soft and lovely, but a bit splitty, even with Stumpi Bluntos.

Needles: One Addi Turbo 16" circular in size 4. If these had pointy points, they'd be perfect! In this case, I appreciated the dull tips, because the Silky Tweed was splitty enough on its own.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks so much for leaving a comment back for me on the SKC site! I really appreciate your help and the direction to your tutorial. I will definitely give it a read and try it out on my next knit :) I didn't see your e-mail address anywhere either, so that's why I commented here on your blog. Hope you get this and thanks so much again! I do appreciate you taking the time to help me out :) Enjoy your new sweater!! -Maryanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya!
    I came over from the SKC KAL.
    Let me just say......
    Your Sahara is Fantastic!.
    Your mods give you a beautiful structured, perfect fit.
    Well done!

    ** Moving to California??? I live in So. Cali...WELCOME!

    ReplyDelete