Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A sad day for socks

Dear New Pair of Socks,

You sock!

Love and kisses,
The Feet




I knitted this new sock out of Socks That Rock in Sun Drops. Don't get me wrong, it's great yarn. (The colour is wonderful for the first real storm we've had this winter, too.) There are a few things that I've learned, though:

  1. This yarn has a very abrupt tension at which it becomes stiff, and it's a good bit looser than I usually knit socks at this weight. It's just fine on size 3 needles if knit a bit loosely, so I needed to go down from 48 to 40 stitches to accommodate this.
  2. This yarn isn't as forgiving in a heel. Because it goes stiff at the slightest bit of extra tension, my high instep is not getting along with this sock at all. See those stretched stitches? See the line where they're cutting into my ankle-foot junction? My feet just aren't up for being strangled in that fashion.


I don't know what to do with this sock. Adding more stitches will make it too loose. What it really needs is a deeper heel, but it can't be deeper unless I make it on more than half the stitches (this is the only solution that I think will certainly work). Anyone ever solved this problem?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:10 AM

    When you say a "deeper heel," what do you mean by that? Is the pattern one where you'd do a heel flap? If so, then simply do 2-6 more rows on the heel flap to make it just a bit longer. You can do that without making the heel any wider. That's the only thing I can think of to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:46 PM

    I agree with the last comment. IF you are doing a flap-type heel, using more stitches will make the heel wider. Make the flap longer to make the heel deeper. If it is a short-row heel, then you would use more stitches for a deeper heel. I love the color, it is definitely cheerful.

    ReplyDelete