Thursday, August 17, 2006

The geek is in the details

I'm far enough in knitting my little Eunny-top that I can show you a few little details I've knitted into the twisted ribs at the waist:

  • DNA in the form of chromosome pairs. Look at the crosses in the sweater (sorry they're hard to see, but they're hard to photograph stretched) then look at the picture of the chromosome pair. Squint a little; it's stylized and based on what I remember from high school AP biology.





  • DNA in the form of helices. In fact, I've included both left and right twist helices. Some X-ray structure research suggests that it's a pretty low-energy transformation to move between them, so you may very well have both kinds in you at different times. Typically, you'll have the right-handed B-form.



No comments:

Post a Comment