Sunday, January 29, 2006

Thick socks are quick socks


Part of this is that I've been knitting while I'm reading papers, but part of it is just the thick yarn. Obervations:

  • I think I'm going to keep a pair of plain socks on the needles at pretty much all times for seminar/reading knitting. At the very least, having some knitting I don't really need to look at is helpful both for my output and for my inherent twichiness.
  • The small size of my feet fights against knitting without looking; a large part of my socks is heel or toe. Short row heels are fine, but I think I'm going to try a rectangle toe next. I'm not sure this thick yarn would work as well with the toes I know for top-down socks, and I certainly wouldn't use a heel flap.
  • These socks are truly incredible for people with cold feet like I have. I want more of these, or to surgically attach them to my feet. They could use a bit more cuff, but I used one skien per foot so that I could estimate future yarn usage.


These socks were made from Artyarns supermerino 107 using Wendy's toe-up sock pattern. Other sites you might find useful when knitting socks (especially toe-up socks) include a listing of sock toes and heels and a listing of short-row tutorials, especially clear pictures of how to knit double-wrapped rows.

So, the next socks are probably from my Atlantic Regia sock yarn, since that's what I've got in the house. Coming up on my sock list is the Birch Leaf socks from A Gathering of Lace. I bought some Jo Sharp for them, but I'm considering returning it in favour of something a bit less expensive. After that, I think I'm going to break down and buy a little Supermerino and a little Jazz for more warm socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment